Part 1: Introduction
Part 2: Characteristics for Success: Prenatal - First Trimester Care
Part 3: Implementation of Clinical Quality Measure: Prenatal - First Trimester Care Access
Part 4: Improvement Strategies: Prenatal - First Trimester Care Access
Part 5: Holding the Gains and Spreading Improvement
Part 6: Supporting Information
Part 6: Supporting Information
To gain insight into how one QI team approached this measure, review a case study highlighting Happy Farms' Quality Assurance Program and its approach to improving Prenatal-First Trimester Care Access.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2006. Safe Motherhood: Promoting Health for Women Before, During and After Pregnancy, 2006.
- Institute of Medicine. Preventing low birthweight. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1985.
- U.S. Congress, Office of Technology Assessment. Healthy Children: investing in the future, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1988;OTA-H-345.
- Gortmaker SL. The effects of prenatal care upon the health of the newborn. Am J Public Health 1979;69:653-60.
- Sokol RJ, Woolf RB, Rosen MG, Weingarden K. Risk, antepartum care, and outcome: impact of a maternity and infant care project. Obstet Gynecol 1980;56:150-56.
- Quick JD, Greenlick MR, Roghmann KJ. Prenatal care and pregnancy outcome in an HMO and general population: a multivariate cohort analysis. Am J Public Health 1981;71:381-90.
- Peoples MD, Siegal E. Measuring the impact of programs for mothers and infants on prenatal care and low birth weight: the value of refined analyses. Medical Care 1983;21:586-608.
- Greenberg RS. The impact of prenatal care in different social groups. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1983;145:797-801.
- Showstack JA, Budetti PP, Minkler D. Factors associated with birthweight: an exploration of the roles of prenatal care and length of gestation. Am J Public Health 1984;74:1003-8.
- Fisher ES, LoGerfo JP, Daling JR. Prenatal care and pregnancy outcomes during the recession: the Washington State Experience. Am J Public Health 1985;75:866-9.
- Shiono PH, Klebanoff MA, Graubard BI, Berendes HW, Rhoads GG. Birth weight among women of different ethnic groups. JAMA 1986;255:48-52.
- Moore TR, Origel W, Key TC, Resnik R. The perinatal and economic impact of prenatal care in a low socioeconomic population. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1986;154:29-33.
- Lieberman E, Ryan KJ, Monson RR, Schoenbaum SC. Risk factors accounting for racial differences in the rate of premature birth. N Engl J Med 1987;317:743-8.
- Koonin LM, Atrash HK, Lawson HW, Smith JC. Maternal mortality surveillance, United States, 1979-1986. In CDC Surveillance Summaries, MMWR 1991;40(SS-1):1-13.
- Poland ML, Ager JW, Sokol RJ. Prenatal care: a path (not taken) to improved perinatal outcome. J Perinat Med 1991;19:427-33.
- McLaughlin FJ, Altemeier WA, Christensen MJ, Sherrod KB, Dietrich MS, Stern DT. Randomized trial of comprehensive prenatal care for low-income women: effect on infant birth weight. Pediatrics 1992;89:128-32.
- United States Department of Health and Human Services, Preventing Infant Mortality Fact Sheet, January 2006, (July 21, 2008).
- Mathews TJ, MacDorman MF. 2006. Infant mortality statistics from the 2003 period linked birth/infant death data set. Natl Vital Stat Rep 54(16):1-29.
- March of Dimes (2009)
- Adapted from HRSA Clinical Quality Performance Measures (2009)
- Healthy People 2010 (n.d)
- The State of Health Care Quality 2008 [PDF | 3.6MB]
- Institute of Medicine. Breakthrough Series College Aim Statement Checklist. Boston: Institute for Healthcare Improvement. February 2004,
- Adapted from pre-work manual used in HRSA sponsored Health Disparities Collaborative
- NQC "A Guide to Consumer Involvement"
- Timmermans S, Mauck A (2005). The promises and pitfalls of evidence-based medicine. Health Aff (Millwood) 24 (1): 18-28. doi:10.1377/hlthaff.24.1.18. PMID 15647212.
- Adapted from Chronic Care Model...
- Langley G., Nolan K., Nolan T., Norman C., Provost L. The Improvement Guide: A Practical Approach to Enhancing Organizational Performance. San Francisco. Jossey-Bass, 1996.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration. Women's Health USA 2008. Rockville, Maryland
- American Academy of Pediatrics and American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Guidelines for Perinatal Care, Fifth Edition; Elk Grove Village, IL, AAP/ACOG 2002.
- Physician Performance Measures
- Joint Commission
- A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth (Oxford University Press, 2000) Murray Enkin, Marc J.N.C. Keirse, James Neilson, Caroline Crowther, Lelia Duley, Ellen Hodnett and Justus Hofmeyr.
- National and State Maternal and Child Health (MCH)
- NQF-Endorsed™ National Voluntary Consensus Standards for Physician-Focused Ambulatory Care. APPENDIX A -NCQA Measure Technical Specifications, April, 2008 V.7
- AHRQ Innovations Exchange. - Strategies and quality-related tools to improve an organization's ability to innovate and adopt new ideas, and interact with innovators and adopters.
- MCH Library Knowledge Path: Preconception and Pregnancy Online bibliography of information related to preconception and prenatal care.
- Childbirth Connection. Founded in 1918, National not-for-profit organization concerned with improving the quality of maternity care.
- DoD/VA clinical practice guideline for management of uncomplicated pregnancy. Department of Defense - Federal Government Agency [U.S.] Department of Veterans Affairs - Federal Government Agency [U.S.] Veterans Health Administration - Federal Government Agency [U.S.]. 2002 Oct. Various pages. NGC:003062
- Routine prenatal care. Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement - Private Nonprofit Organization. 1997 Aug (revised 2008 Aug). 89 pages. NGC:006704
- Health IT Adoption Toolbox
You will need Adobe Acrobat® Reader™ to view PDF files located on this site.
If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat® Reader™,
you can download here for free.