Part 1: Overview
Part 2: Using the Data for Analysis and Interpretation
Part 3: Related Resources
Part 3: Related Resources
- Institute Healthcare Improvement (2011). Simple Data Collection Planning. - In this article, the Institute for Healthcare Improvement provides step-by-step instructions for simple data collection planning.
- Stratis Health. (2010). Quality Improvement Basics. - This series of recorded webinars provides an introduction to quality improvement including “Data and Measurement 101” and “Change Management”
- University of North Florida. (n.d.) Designing a data collection plan. - This pdf provides detailed information on creating a data analysis plan in seven steps.
- Syracuse University Office of Institutional Research and Assessment. (n.d.) Collecting Information. - This article discusses the factors that need to be considered when gathering data to answer your evaluation questions.
- West Ed. (n.d.) Sample Material: Timeline for data collection and analysis. - This sample timeline outlines key tasks, deadlines, and deliverables for a program evaluation. You may find this document useful as you create and evaluate your own timeline.
- Northern Illinois University (2004.) Responsible conduct in data management. - This article outlines the consequences of improper data management and provides strategies for properly collecting information.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (2010). Introduction to measures of quality. - This decision guide produced by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality introduces readers to a wide range of topics affecting measures of quality, as well as the national initiatives that are promoting the standardization of measurement.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (2011). National quality measures clearinghouse. - AHRQ’s searchable directory of quality measures.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (2011). Measures most viewed. - AHRQ’s list of the top ten measures most-viewed in the past 30 days, updated daily.
- National Quality Forum. (2011). Measure List. - NQF’s searchable directory of quality measures.
- National Quality Forum. (2011). Consensus Development Process. - NQF’s Consensus Development Process for submitting quality measures for approval.
- Trochim, WM. (2008). Probability sampling. - This article provides more detailed information on the different methods for random sampling (including simple, stratified, systematic, cluster, and multi-stage random sampling.)
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (2011). Sampling. - The Institute for Healthcare Improvement provides this sampling tool with instructions on how to use random sampling to conduct a QI assessment.
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. (n.d.) Internal and external validity. - This resource describes factors that can negatively affect the internal and external validity of a study.
- Migrant Clinicians Network. (2008). Chart Audit Forms. - The Migrant Clinicians Network website provides a set of standardized chart audit forms for use in quality management.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (2011). Improvement tracker. - IHI’s improvement tracker tool allows you to set an aim and input the data you collect in order to track your quality measures.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (2011). Run chart tool. - IHI’s run chart tool creates a run chart as you enter data.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (2011). Using run and control charts to understand variation. - A presentation explaining how to use run and control charts to understand variation.
- Kyd, C.(2005, July). The power of dashboard reporting with Excel. - A brief explanation of dashboard reporting and sample dashboards created using Microsoft Excel.
- Klass, G. (2002). Types of charts. - An over view of how and when to use various types of charts.
- National Business Coalition on Health. (2011). Physician performance measurement & reporting introduction - This article provides an overview of how to measure and report on physician performance.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. (2009). Communicating with physicians
about performance measurement. - This report produced by RWJF provides helpful strategies and messages for overcoming physician resistance to performance measurement.
- Physician Business Group on Health. (2005, September). Aligning physician incentives: lessons and perspectives from California. - This report details principles for physician measurement and rewards programs.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (2011). Plan-do-study-act worksheet. - A helpful tool to test and track quality improvement changes.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (2011, June). Provider and staff satisfaction survey. - IHI’s template for a satisfaction survey of clinic providers and staff
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (2008, December). The consumer assessment of healthcare providers and systems (CAHPS). - This survey and reporting kit explains how to prepare and field a CAHPS questionnaire, analyze the results, and produce consumer-friendly reports.
- American Society for Quality. (2004.) Data collection check sheet for observations. - A generic tool that provides a structured, prepared form for collecting and analyzing data.
- Microsystem Academy. (2011). Clinical improvement worksheet. - A blank clinical improvement worksheet that allows you to accelerate clinical improvement by linking outcome measurements, structure, process and pattern knowledge with the design and implementation of pilot tests of change.
- Microsystem Academy. (2011). Worksheets. -This page includes a series of worksheets and templates that can be used to document, monitor and improve clinical processes
- National Quality Center. (2008). Collecting performance data. - This tutorial instructs you on how to effectively and efficiently collect quality data and translate them into quality improvement activities.
You will need Adobe Acrobat® Reader™ to view PDF files located on this site.
If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat® Reader™,
you can download here for free.