Part 1: Overview
Part 2: Performance Management Process
Part 3: Related Resources
Part 3: Related Resources
- Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. - Institute of Medicine. (2001). This report broadly describes how the health care system should be changed to improve quality of care.
- The State of Health Care Quality. National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). (2010). - This report describes a variety of Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) quality measures and reports recent trends from health plans that use the measures.
- Guidebook for Performance Measurement. (PDF - 81 pages) Turning Point. - This guidebook concisely explains the fundamentals of performance measurement in public health and the steps to take to develop a performance measurement process.
- Performance Measurement. The Joint Commission. (2011) - The Joint Commission accredits and certifies healthcare organizations and programs. This web page contains links to several performance measurement resources, including descriptions of how the Joint Commission develops measures.
- The ABCs of Measurement. National Quality Forum. (2011). - This document describes why it is important to measure healthcare quality.
- The CAHPS Improvement Guide. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). (2011). - This web site describes how an organization can use CAHPS patient experience data to analyze their performance and then make changes to improve quality.The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) surveys are one set of tools you can use to assess care from the patient’s perspective.
- Joint Principles of the Patient Centered Medical Home. Patient-Centered Primary Care Collaborative. (February 2007). - Provides an overview of the Patient-Centered Medical Home approach to providing primary care.
- Patient Centered Medical Home Resource Center. AHRQ. (2011).- This web site defines the Patient-Centered Medical Home and contains links to other articles to learn more about the concept of medical homes.
- NCQA Patient Centered Medical Home 2011 - With input from the primary care specialty societies, NCQA has developed standards to assess whether physician practices are functioning as medical homes. The standards align closely with CMS Meaningful Use Requirements and include whether a provider measures performance and implements continuous quality improvement.
- Medical Home Accreditation. Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). (2011). The AAAHC offers several accreditation programs to ambulatory health care organizations. One of these programs is Medical Home accreditation; organizations are assessed on characteristics such as relationship with the patient, continuity of care, and comprehensiveness of care.
- From Silos to Systems: Using Performance Management to Improve the Public’s Health . (PDF - 44 pages) - Prepared for Turning Point by the Public Health Foundation. This report provides definitions, context and details regarding the use of performance management in public health settings.
- Science of Improvement: How to improve. Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (2011). - This web page presents a model for accelerating improvement in a health care organization.
- Quality Improvement Course. Vanderbilt University Medical Center. (2011) - This web site provides an overview of the quality improvement process.
- Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). (2011). Medical Home Accreditation. The AAAHC offers several accreditation programs to ambulatory health care organizations. One of these programs is Medical Home accreditation; organizations are assessed on characteristics such as relationship with the patient, continuity of care, and comprehensiveness of care.
- National Quality Measures Clearinghouse. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), (2011). This web site provides an overview of quality measures, including how to select and use quality measures, and the different types of quality measures accompanied by examples.
- Science of Improvement: Establishing Measures. Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI). (2011). - These web pages present different types of quality measures and a list of examples of quality measures.
- Child Health Care Quality Toolbox: Understanding Quality Measurement. AHRQ. (2011). - This web page provides a brief overview of quality measurement, including the technical requirements of a measure.
- NQF Measures List. National Quality Forum (NQF). (2011)- This link takes you to a list of NQF-endorsed performance measures. If you want to see the details of each measure, you must register with NQF (registration is free).
- The Measurement of Health Care Performance: A Primer from the CMSS. (PDF - 20 pages) Council of Medical Specialty Societies (CMSS). (2007) - This paper describes commonly used performance measurement methodologies (summarized above) and also provides an overview of the major players in performance measurement.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. - This website allows you to track measures, either by selecting one of the measures provided or creating your own custom measure, and then entering your data. The Improvement Tracker automatically graphs your data and you can create reports and download your data as a spreadsheet.
You will need Adobe Acrobat® Reader™ to view PDF files located on this site.
If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat® Reader™,
you can download here for free.