Ensuring Equity in COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution
Engaging Federally Qualified Health Centers
The Health Center COVID-19 Vaccine Program, a partnership between HRSA and CDC, has begun incrementally at select HRSA-funded health centers that specialize in caring for hard-to-reach and disproportionately affected populations. The goal is to address health equity in vaccine delivery by providing a direct supply of COVID-19 vaccines to health centers who serve these populations.
- More Than 10 Million COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Administered by Community Health Centers (5/19/2021)
- HHS Secretary Becerra, HUD Secretary Fudge Announce Joint Effort to Increase Access to COVID-19 Vaccinations (5/6/2021)
- HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra Announces Expansion of COVID-19 Vaccine Program to All Community Health Centers Across the Country (4/7/2021)
COVID-19 Coverage Assistance Fund
The COVID-19 Coverage Assistance Fund (CAF) is covering the costs of administering COVID-19 vaccines to underinsured patients, meaning those whose health insurance either doesn’t cover vaccine administration fees, or does but typically with patient cost-sharing. Since patients cannot be billed directly for COVID-19 vaccine fees, health care providers on the front lines administering COVID-19 vaccines to underinsured patients may seek fee reimbursements through CAF, subject to available funding.
Find out what's covered and how to submit claims.
Expanding COVID-19 Response in Rural Communities through Rural Health Clinics and Small Rural Hospitals
To expand access to vaccines and ensure equity in COVID-19 response in rural communities, the Health Resources and Services Administration is working with Rural Health Clinics (RHCs) across the nation to strengthen vaccine allocation and confidence, and to expand COVID-19 testing and mitigation.
- Rural Health Clinic COVID-19 Testing and Mitigation Program Funding Distribution
- Rural Health Clinic Vaccine Confidence Program Grant Awards
To further support COVID-19 testing in rural areas, HRSA provided $398 million to SHIP to work with 1,540 small rural hospitals on COVID-19 testing and mitigation.
American Rescue Plan
- HHS Provides $398 Million to Small Rural Hospitals for COVID-19 Testing and Mitigation (7/13/2021)
- HHS Awards $125 Million in Workforce Grants for Community-Based Efforts to Bolster COVID-19 Vaccinations in Underserved Communities (6/14/2021)
- HHS Provides $424.7 Million to Rural Health Clinics for COVID-19 Testing and Mitigation in Rural Communities (6/11/2021)
- HHS to Dedicate $4.8 Billion from American Rescue Plan to COVID-19 Testing for the Uninsured (5/25/2021)
- HHS Announces $14.2 Million from American Rescue Plan to Expand Pediatric Mental Health Care Access (5/20/2021)
- HHS Awards $40 Million in American Rescue Plan Funding to Support Emergency Home Visiting Assistance for Families Affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic (5/11/2021)
- HHS Announces Nearly $1 Billion from American Rescue Plan for Rural COVID-19 Response (5/4/2021)
- HHS Announces $250 Million from American Rescue Plan to Develop and Support a Community-Based Workforce to Increase COVID-19 Vaccinations in Underserved Communities (5/4/2021)
View our press releases for additional COVID-19 funding announcements.
Provider Relief Fund
The Provider Relief Fund supports American families, workers, and the heroic healthcare providers in the battle against the COVID-19 outbreak. HHS is distributing $178 billion to hospitals and healthcare providers on the front lines of the coronavirus response.
- View a list of providers who received a payment from the Provider Relief Fund and attested to the terms and conditions.
HHS also provides claims reimbursement to health care providers generally at Medicare rates for testing uninsured individuals for COVID-19 and treating uninsured individuals with a COVID-19 diagnosis, and for COVID-19 vaccine administration to uninsured individuals.
- View the list of health care entities who have received a reimbursement from the Allocation for Uninsured individuals of the FFCRA Relief Fund and/or Provider Relief Fund.
- Visit the COVID-19 Claims Reimbursement to Health Care Providers and Facilities for Testing, Treatment, and Vaccine Administration for the Uninsured Program webpage to learn more and view fact sheets for patients and providers.
Frequently Asked Questions
- COVID-19 Claims Reimbursement to Health Care Providers and Facilities for Testing and Treatment of the Uninsured
- General Grants Questions
- 340B Drug Pricing Program
- Federal Office of Rural Health Policy
- Health Center Program
- Health Professions Student Loan Program and Nurse Faculty Loan Program
- Health Workforce Programs
- Maternal and Child Health Programs
- National Health Service Corps and Nurse Corps COVID-19 FAQs
- National Practitioner Data Bank
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program