About the program
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), provides claims reimbursement to health care providers generally at Medicare rates for testing uninsured individuals for COVID-19, treating uninsured individuals with a COVID-19 diagnosis, and administering COVID-19 vaccines to uninsured individuals.
A separate program, the HRSA COVID-19 Coverage Assistance Fund, is available to reimburse providers for COVID-19 vaccine administration to underinsured individuals whose health plan either does not include COVID-19 vaccination as a covered benefit or covers COVID-19 vaccine administration but with cost-sharing.
View Frequently Asked Questions.
How it works
Health care providers who have conducted COVID-19 testing or provided treatment for uninsured individuals with a COVID-19 primary diagnosis on or after February 4, 2020, can request claims reimbursement through the program electronically and will be reimbursed generally at Medicare rates, subject to available funding. Providers can also request reimbursement for COVID-19 vaccine administration. Steps will involve: enrolling as a provider participant, checking patient eligibility, submitting patient information, submitting claims, and receiving payment via direct deposit.
To participate, providers must attest to the following at registration:
- You have checked for health care coverage eligibility and confirmed that the patient is uninsured. You have verified that the patient does not have coverage through an individual, or employer-sponsored plan, a federal healthcare program, or the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program at the time services were rendered, and no other payer will reimburse you for COVID-19 vaccination, testing and/or care for that patient.
- You will accept defined program reimbursement as payment in full.
- You agree not to balance bill the patient.
- You agree to program terms and conditions (PDF - 123 KB) and may be subject to post-reimbursement audit review.
Reimbursement under this program will be made for qualifying testing for COVID-19, for treatment services with a primary COVID-19 diagnosis, and for qualifying COVID-19 vaccine administration fees, as determined by HRSA (subject to adjustment as may be necessary), which include the following:
- Specimen collection, diagnostic and antibody testing.
- Testing-related visits including in the following settings: office, urgent care or emergency room or telehealth.
- Treatment: office visit (including telehealth), emergency room, inpatient, outpatient/observation, skilled nursing facility, long-term acute care (LTAC), rehabilitation care, home health, durable medical equipment (e.g., oxygen, ventilator), emergency ambulance transportation, non-emergent patient transfers via ambulance, and FDA-licensed, authorized, or approved treatments as they become available for COVID-19 treatment.
- Dispensing fees for FDA-licensed or authorized outpatient antiviral drugs for treatment of COVID-19.
- Administration fees related to FDA-licensed or authorized vaccines.
Claims will be subject to Medicare timely filing requirements.
Services not covered by traditional Medicare will also not be covered under this program. In addition, the following services are excluded:
- Any treatment without a COVID-19 primary diagnosis, except for pregnancy when the COVID-19 code may be listed as secondary.
- Hospice services.
- Outpatient prescription drugs, except for the dispensing fee for FDA-licensed or authorized outpatient antiviral drugs for treatment of COVID-19.
All claims submitted must be complete and final.
Claims for reimbursement will be priced as described below for eligible services (see coverage details above).
- Reimbursement will be based on current year Medicare fee schedule rates except where otherwise noted.
- Reimbursement will be based on incurred date of service.
- Publication of new codes and updates to existing codes is made in accordance with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
- For any new codes where a CMS published rate does not exist, claims will be held until CMS publishes corresponding reimbursement information.
Our contractor’s service staff members are available to provide real-time technical support, as well as service and payment support. Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday.