Purpose: Identifies factors that impact oral health and overall health.
- Conduct patient-specific, oral health risk assessments on all patients.
- Identify patient-specific conditions and medical treatments that impact oral health.
- Identify patient-specific, oral conditions and diseases that impact overall health.
- Integrate epidemiology of caries, periodontal diseases, oral cancer, and common oral trauma into the risk assessment.
Purpose: Integrates subjective and objective findings based on completion of a focused oral health history, risk assessment, and performance of clinical oral screening.
- Perform oral health evaluations linking patient history, risk assessment, and clinical presentation.
- Identify and prioritize strategies to prevent or lessen risk for oral and systemic diseases.
- Layer interventions in accordance with evaluation findings.
Purpose: Recognizes options and strategies to address oral health needs identified by a comprehensive risk assessment and health evaluation.
- Implement appropriate patient-centered preventive oral health interventions and strategies.
- Introduce strategies to reduce identified risk factors.
Purpose: Targets individuals and groups regarding the relationship between oral and systemic health, risk factors for oral health disorders, effect of nutrition on oral health, and preventive measures appropriate to reduce risk for individuals and populations.
- Provide targeted patient education about importance of oral health and how to maintain good oral health, which considers oral health literacy, nutrition, and patients' perceived oral health barriers.
Purpose: Shares responsibility and collaboration among health care professionals in the care of patients and populations with, or at risk of, oral disorders to ensure optimal health results.
- Exchange meaningful information among health care providers to identify and implement appropriate, high quality care for patients, based on comprehensive evaluations and options available within the local health delivery and referral system.
- Apply interprofessional practice principles that lead to safe, timely, efficient, and effective planning and delivery of patient and population-centered oral health care.
- Facilitate patient navigation in the oral health care delivery system through collaboration and communication with oral health care providers, and provide appropriate referrals.