Get reimbursed for COVID-19 testing and treatment of uninsured individuals.     Learn more »

How to File a Petition

To be compensated by the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP), you must file a petition with the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and a copy of the petition must sent to the Department of Health and Human Services.

The petition is a legal document that you can prepare yourself, or hire a lawyer to prepare and file on your behalf. Because this is a legal process, most people hire a lawyer.

The Court generally will award reasonable attorneys' fees and other legal costs as long as your petition is deemed reasonable and filed in good faith.

Visit the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, Office of Special Masters for detailed information about how to submit a petition, including guidelines, sample filings and a list of attorneys who have agreed, upon request, to accept referrals in certain vaccine injury cases.

Where do I file my petition?

Submit your petition, one original and two copies, including cover sheet, medical records, and other documentation plus the appropriate filing fee to:

U.S. Court of Federal Claims
717 Madison Place NW
Washington, DC 20439

If you are unable to pay the filing fee, call 202-357-6400.

Where must I send a copy of the petition?

After you submit your petition to the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, you must send a copy of the petition to the following address:

Secretary, Health and Human Services
Health Resources and Services Administration
Director, Division of Injury Compensation Programs
National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP)
5600 Fishers Lane, 08N146B
Rockville, MD 20857

Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) public health emergency, you may submit a copy of your petition electronically. Contact Carole Marks for further instructions.


The content of this website reflects the current thinking of the United States Department of Health and Human Services on the topics addressed and does not create or confer any rights for or on any person and does not operate to bind the Department or the public. The ultimate decision about the scope of the statutes authorizing the VICP is within the authority of the United States Court of Federal Claims, which is responsible for resolving petitions for compensation under the VICP.

If you have additional questions, call: 1-800-338-2382 or email:

Date Last Reviewed:  December 2020