Public Health Student Volunteer Program
The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the US Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) is seeking applicants for the Public Health Student Volunteer Program (PHSVP). Public Health Volunteers will complete a one semester rotation within one of HRSA's Bureaus or Offices. This public health program is an unfunded experience for current graduate and undergraduate students in good standing at schools of public health and public health programs in the United States.
The HRSA PHSVP provides an unparalleled opportunity for professional growth and development as a public health practitioner. This program will prepare the student to become an ambassador for the mission of HRSA in his/her professional discipline, work setting, education, or community. The student will have frequent contact with HRSA's public health experts in one of a wide-range of disciplines including Federal Office of Rural Health Policy, HIV/AIDS Bureau, Maternal and Child Health, Healthcare Systems, and Program Analysis and Evaluation.
The student will have an opportunity to participate in training and development activities at HRSA that may include:
Orientation to HRSA and government office work
- Attendance at seminars/webinars available to all HRSA staff
- Exposure to HRSA program analysis and evaluation methodologies
- Shadowing HRSA staff across a wide range of public health disciplines
The PHSVP aligns with HRSA's strategic plan and supports the individual student's progress toward a career in public health. To this end, the program will:
- Develop the public health workforce
- Strengthen HRSA's partnership with schools of public health and the pipeline of public health professionals
- Orient the future public health workforce to HRSA's mission, programs, and leadership
Description of Duties
Although specific projects will depend on initiatives within the office of placement during the volunteer's appointment, the following list provides an idea of the scope and breadth of the volunteer's work at HRSA.
Support the management of grants and programs at HRSA
- Plan and coordinate meetings of public health experts/practitioners
- Shadow and conduct informational interviews with key HRSA staff
- Apply skills to goal-based projects in the range of competency areas specified by the student's school's curriculum
How to Apply
Students who are interested in participating in the Public Health Intern Program at HRSA may contact the HRSA Strategic Recruitment office at PHSIP@hrsa.gov.
The subject line of your message should read “Public Health Intern Program.”
Attach the following items to your message: application form (PDF - 490 KB), resume, and unofficial transcript. Documents in .pdf format are preferred.
Last Reviewed: May 2017
Agency Overview (PDF - 812 KB)
HRSA Year in Review (PDF - 1 MB)
Careers at HRSA
HRSA offers many career opportunities for job seekers at all levels.
Pathways for Students and Recent Graduates