The National Hansen’s Disease Program (NHDP) located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana is the only facility in the United States devoted to diagnosis, treatment, and research concerning Hansen’s Disease (HD).
- Free consultations for physicians treating complicated cases of Hansen’s disease, including referrals for reconstructive hand or foot surgery.
- Free pathologic review of skin biopsy and consultation concerning molecular techniques for identification of M. leprae.
- Antibiotics for leprosy treatment shipped to physicians at no cost to patients.
- Free educational materials for healthcare professionals and patients to improve understanding of the disease, and to prevent injury and disability.
- Surgical Care and Rehabilitation for those referred for complicated (digit or limb threatening) wounds or reconstruction of correctable deformity resulting from Hansen’s disease.
Date Last Reviewed: