Providing Health Care and Medicine
COVID-19 Vaccine Webinar for Rural Communities
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Office of Minority Health (CMS OMH)
Designed for community partners and providers in rural areas.
Federal COVID-19 resources:
- Health workforce mandates
- Healthcare coverage
Enhancing Antibiotic Stewardship Programs in Critical Access Hospitals (Coming Soon)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Federal Office of Rural Health Policy (FORHP)
Get advice on how Critical Access Hospitals can meet the Joint Commission’s revised antibiotic stewardship standards.
HIV Treatment and Care in Rural Communities
Learn about federal support for HIV treatment and care in rural communities. This includes program accomplishments, performance indicators, impact of COVID-19, community engagement, and the role and response to stigma in serving people with HIV.
Achieving Health Equity
Twitter Chat: Digital Equity and the Health of Rural Americans
Rural Health Information Hub and the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health
A #RuralHealthChat about digital access problems in rural areas. This included access to broadband, telehealth, and patient portals. Get tips on how rural communities can improve digital equity and broadband access.
Federal Efforts to Achieve Health Equity in Rural Communities
Federal leaders presented strategies to prioritize health equity and eliminate disparities in health access, policy, and practice.
- Diana Espinosa, Acting Administrator, HRSA
- Catherine Oakar, Special Assistant to the President for Community Public Health and Disparities, White House Domestic Policy Council
- Tom Morris, Associate Administrator, Federal Office of Rural Health Policy, HRSA
- Dr. LaShawn McIver, Director, Office of Minority Health, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Dr. Loretta Christensen (PDF - 191 KB), Chief Medical Officer, Indian Health Service
Addressing Health Disparities in Rural Communities: FORHP Grantee Highlights
FORHP grantees shared best practices for achieving health equity in their communities.
NIH Rural Health Day Seminar: Structural-Level Determinants of Rural Health Disparities
NIH Rural Health Special Interest Group
The factors behind health disparities in rural populations:
- Sociocultural and economic determinants of health in rural populations
- Physical and environmental determinants
- Evaluation, measurements, and policy implications on rural health
The NIH Rural Health Special Interest Group included:
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- National Institute on Aging
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Stories From the Field
Telling the Rural Star Stories
National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health
Behind the big headlines of rural health are the people. In this webinar, listen to “power of rural” stories. Lessons learned on the four R’s: resolve, resiliency, relationships, and readiness.
Understanding the Health Needs of Rural Populations
3rd Annual Rural Oral Health Conference: “Diversity and Inclusion: Addressing the Needs of Marginalized Populations in Rural Communities” (Coming Soon)
Zufall Community Health Center and New Jersey State Office of Rural Health
HRSA Bureau/Office Events
Presented by: HRSA’s HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)
Learn about how HAB supports rural health initiatives.
- Innovative models of care
- Improving access and retention in high quality care
- Expanding the HIV workforce, enhancing telemedicine
- Delivering optimal care and treatment for people with HIV/AIDS
Understanding Addiction in Rural America (PDF - 259 KB)
Presented by: FORHP
A 30-minute film on people with opioid use disorder in Gunnison County, Colorado. Listen to a discussion with three subject-matter experts, including the HRSA grantee who created the film.
NRHD Welcome Remarks
HHS leaders celebrate the 10th annual National Rural Health Day.
Rural Responds to COVID–19 (PDF - 333 KB)
Presented by: FORHP
Three FORHP grant recipients talk about improving care during the COVID-19 public health emergency.
HRSA Partner Events
Presented by: National Association of Rural Health Clinics, National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health, and the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy
Learn how rural providers made COVID-19 testing available in their communities.
Presented by: Jan Probst, PhD, Professor Emerita, Rural and Minority Health Research Center
Learn about the key elements that determine health across rural populations. These include education, race, income, and access.
Presented by: CDC National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and Rural Health Information Hub (RHI)
Highlights of ongoing work by the NCHS. Learn about:
- Differences in mortality, suicide, alcohol-induced deaths
- Motor vehicle traffic deaths
- Drug overdose deaths in urban and rural populations