Rural communities face unique health care challenges. Our community-based grant programs address these and increase access to care.
What Approach Do Programs Take?
Most programs use or adapt evidence-based models of care in collaboration with their community networks or consortiums.
How Is Collaboration Important to Improving Access to Care?
Many awardees share resources and expertise in their networks. Two or more health care service providers make up a network.
Which Programs Support Black Lung?
- Provides health care to coal miners with Black Lung diseases
- Conducts outreach, education, and benefits counseling
View the FY 2020 Black Lung Clinics Program awardees.
Which Programs Support Capacity Building?
Expands public health capacity by supporting health care job development, training, and placement in rural and tribal communities in four workforce training tracks.
Email: RPHWTNP@hrsa.gov (Patricia Burbano)
View the FY 2022 Rural Public Health Workforce Training Network Grant Program awardees.
- One year of grant support to help build formal health partnerships
View the FY 2022 Rural Health Network Development Planning Program awardees.
- Supports mature rural health networks
- Encourages innovative solutions to local health care needs
View the FY 2020 Rural Health Network Development Program awardees.
- Supports health care groups who serve in the Northern Border Regional Commission area
- Identifies key issues, assesses challenges, and helps with strategic planning
View the FY 2021 Rural Northern Border Region Planning Program awardees.
- Provides technical assistance to health care groups who serve in the Northern Border Regional Commission area
- Provides technical assistance in mental health, substance use, workforce recruitment and retention, and value-based care efforts
See a list of the FY22 awardees.
Which Programs Support Health Services?
Addresses the high burden of chronic disease in this region.
The Delta Region includes eight states:
View the FY 2020 Delta States Rural Development Network Grant Program awardees.
- Integrates health care systems in rural communities
- Improves the care coordination workforce
View the FY 2020 Rural Health Care Coordination Program awardees.
- Expands health care delivery
- Works with community partners to address needs
- Uses evidence-informed models
- Takes part in the Healthy Rural Hometown Initiative (HRHI). Targets the five leading causes of death.
View the FY 2021 Rural Health Care Services Outreach Grant Program awardees.
- Improves patient health outcomes and quality and delivery of care
- Reduces health care costs
View the FY 2022 Small Health Care Provider Quality Improvement Program awardees.
Which Program Supports Maternal Health?
- Addresses the lack of pregnancy and obstetrics services in rural counties
View the FY 2022 Rural Maternity and Obstetrics Management Strategies Program awardees.
Which Program Supports Radiation Screening?
Supports people exposed to radiation from U.S. nuclear weapons testing and production:
- Conducts outreach, screening, education activities, and medical referrals
- Helps people file Radiation Exposure Compensation Act claims
View the FY 2020 Radiation Exposure Screening and Education Program awardees.
How Is Technical Assistance Provided?
Awardees receive free targeted technical assistance to help achieve their desired project outcomes.
HRSA funded technical assistance is provided by the Georgia Health Policy Center.