Rural Response to COVID-19
We answer your concerns about COVID-19 and its impact on your programs and your communities.
We expanded COVID-19 response in rural communities through Rural Health Clinics and Small Rural Hospitals. We encourage emergency response planning with state and local partners.
Where can I find information as a grantee?
Use these links or contact your Project Officer.
- Search our COVID-19 Information for HRSA Programs.
- Subscribe to FORHP’s weekly newsletter for Rural Health Updates.
- Visit the Rural Health Information Hub’s Rural Healthcare Surge Readiness COVID-19 resources, tools, and trainings for rural healthcare.
How do you use funding to fight COVID-19 in rural communities?
- Small Rural Hospital Improvement Program (SHIP) - COVID-19 Testing & Mitigation
- $398 million to existing SHIP grantees for COVID-19 testing and mitigation.
- We funded 1,540 small rural hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals.
- HRSA COVID-19 Response through Rural Health Clinics (RHCs)
- Expanding access to vaccines
- Increasing vaccine confidence
- Expanding testing and mitigation activities
- HRSA Funding to RHCs for COVID-19 Testing
- $9.3 million to 188 additional RHCs in December 2020. These RHCs received $49,461 per clinic site.
- $225 million to Rural Health Clinics (RHCs) for expanded COVID-19 testing in May 2020. This funding supports over 4,500 RHCs across the country.
- HHS Awards in Rural Communities to Fight COVID-19
- $150 million to SHIP grantees (PDF - 109 KB). Grantees received around $80K per hospital for COVID-19 support activities.
- $15 million to existing Telehealth Resource Centers (TRCs). TRCs can provide hands-on technical support across many areas. Contact the TRCs for more information and assistance.
- Review Provider Relief Fund (PRF) Allocations. Funding is through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act and the Paycheck Protection Program.
- Provider Payment Attestations
- Targeted funds for rural providers
- FAQs on the Provider Relief Fund Targeted Distribution
- FAQs on the American Rescue Plan Rural Payments
- Contact the HHS PRF hotline at 866-569-3522 (United Healthcare) with questions.
- Paycheck Protection Program
Small Business Administration (SBA) incentives to keep workers on the payroll.
- Funds to support health centers in responding to COVID-19
Funding for COVID-19 response and health center capacity.
- Funding to combat COVID-19 pandemic in rural Tribal communities
$15 million in funding to address COVID-19 in rural tribal communities.
Date Last Reviewed: