Before you apply for a HRSA grant, you must complete two registrations:
- Systems for Award Management (SAM)
It could take two weeks to complete both registrations. Provide complete and consistent information on both sites.
Estimated time to complete: one to two weeks.
If you are already registered with SAM, check your SAM registration to ensure it is active. We will reject your grant application if it is not.
- Go to The SAM.
- Select Create User Account or Register/Update Entity.
- Complete the form. This will take about an hour.
You will need:
- Unique Entity Identifier (UEI)
- Tax ID number (Employer Identification Number (EIN). (Don't have an one? Apply For An EIN.)
- Other information, like: business start date, congressional district, and physical and mailing addresses
- To designate an E-Business Point of Contact (E-BIZ POC), and a Marketing Partner Identification Number (MPIN)
- The MPIN is your organization’s personal code, which serves as a password.
- The E-BIZ POC will use the MPIN to approve Authorized Organization Representatives (AORs) in Grants.gov.
- Submit your SAM registration.
- The SAM will email you once they validate your information and activate your registration, typically within one to two weeks.
Note: If you see the question “Is my information available for viewing by the public?” answer “Yes.” This way, we can easily access and review your information.
Keep your SAM registration active - renew at least once each year. Renewal will take 24 to 48 hours to activate.
If your registration expires, you cannot submit a grant application until you renew it.
Estimated time to complete: same day.
One day after you submit your SAM registration, your organization's Authorized Organization Representatives (AORs) can register in Grants.gov.
- Your organization designates AORs to submit applications to Grants.gov.
- Your organization can have one or more AORs.
- To submit applications, the E-BIZ POC must also register as an AOR and approve the registration.
Once you have your UEI and SAM registrations, AORs can complete the Grants.gov registration in as little as one day. But the E-BIZ POC must approve it immediately (They’ll receive an email from grants.gov to do so.)
- Go to Register With Grants.Gov.
- Each AOR should register on Grants.gov using the organization's correct UEI.
- The E-BIZ POC can approve AORs as soon as Grants.gov prompts them to do so via email.
- They will need the organization's MPIN to approve AOR registrations.
- Grants.gov will send emails to AORs once approved. AORs can then submit applications.
Each AOR must update their Grants.gov registration every year and their Grants.gov password every 90 days.
Learn the SAM.gov Process
Mon - Fri | 8 a.m.- 8 p.m.
(except federal holidays)
Email grants.gov support